Friday, January 8, 2010

P90X+ Day 44

Core synergistics today. I'm sure you all know how much I just adore this workout... not... In the past it has not been my favorite AT ALL, but I know it's good for me so I just press on anyways. An hour of it a week is not going to kill me; just make me stronger. It's a great workout, it just doesn't come as easily for me as the other workouts do.

I have found, however, that doing this workout with the bands is much better than with the weights. They are more manageable and I find that I get a better core workout with the bands than with the weights. This might be because I was using weights that were too heavy for this workout, and instead of it working my core, my other muscles over compensated so that I could continue to use that weight. I always felt it in my arms and legs, not in my core like I was supposed to. Using the bands has solved this problem and I'm really feeling my core get stronger.

However, the drawback here is that the bands don't work for every move. I can't remember the exact name, but the one where you switch lunging and pressing the weights up on the left and right 24 times is impossible to do with the bands, even if you decide to alter it and do 12 on the right and then 12 on the left. It's just not the same. Weights are necessary. Same goes for one of the last moves- the one where you lunge and then kick-back, curl, and press the weights. This one I suppose could be done with the bands, but part of the idea to this move is that you go up and down in the lunge switching legs every time. Using the bands during this takes more time than you are given and defeats the purpose since it goes so slowly. You could stay in a lung the entire time instead of coming up and going down for every rep, but then your legs don't get a good enough work out.

My point: there are advantages and disadvantages to both. I suggest using both bands and weights for core synergistics, depending on which move you are doing.

Other than that, things are going great! Headed to Chicago to see the Addams Family musical tonight with my boyfriend, and I'm really excited. (I love Nathan Lane.) Happy X'ing!

1 comment:

  1. I have to use weights and bands for core synergistics too. I struggle with it but that's the point.

    Are you a Beachbody Coach? I did not see anywhere on your site saying you are. Go to http://www.BeachBodyCoach.com/wrkoutjorney to learn more.

    Bring It.

    ReplyDelete